Friday, March 23, 2012

Happy birthday, Claire



Claire is 5! It's almost the end of an era for our family. Eight years ago we had Audrey and now here we are with two kids who speak fluently, are totally potty trained, can get their own snacks and make a sandwich if needed, and this fall, will both be in school all day. I can't say it went fast, but it seems fast now that it's nearly over.




That's not to say the fun and challenges are over, just that stage where babies and preschoolers determine the agenda both day and night. I am excited for this new phase of life and still nostalgic for the baby years, but it's all good.




Claire is just a wonderful, intelligent, generous, and loving sweetheart. She hugs and kisses us 20 times a day. She is so sensitive to everyone's feelings and expresses her love and support liberally. She's easygoing, can entertain herself happily, and adapts to changes quickly. She has a tender heart and cries bitterly if she gets in trouble, but that is a rare occasion.

Claire loves her fruit and veggies, but enjoys a good meatball, too. She's an epic snacker, always going for the yogurt, pretzels, apples, crackers and any other good munchie. She sleeps well - 8 pm to 7 am these days. She goes to preschool two days a week and looks forward to Tuesdays and Thursdays with her classmates, teacher, chapel, sharing and play time. We had her parent teacher conference the other day and Mrs. Dewart says Claire is right up to speed on her shapes, colors, scissor technique, and almost all her letters. She is kind and friendly to everyone, doesn't let anybody push her around and regularly makes her teacher laugh.




Claire dresses herself and sometimes she looks like a fashion plate, sometimes she looks like a ragamuffin, but she's always cute. She's made good friends with the staff at Trader Joe's and they all know her name. She just finished a ballet class and an art class that she really loved. Claire enjoys the park and the beach and really likes her TV time. She loves to play with her sister.





Claire is my little satellite - wherever I am she is too. The store, the bank, the garden, even the dentist's office. I think she gets a little bored, but it seems everywhere we go there are suckers, treats, stickers or prizes to be had, and she makes the most of it. I think it's going to be strange when she is in school and I do all my errands alone.



She's often singing, making up strange little tunes with strange little words and the songs last at least 10 minutes. Claire has grown quite a few inches and her curly hair is down to the middle of her back when it's wet. She seems to have come into her own physically - she skips everywhere, runs pretty fast and is just about as fearless as Audrey when it comes to climbing and jumping. Lately, she is making towers out of the cushions and diving across the couch. I have to remind her that the arm of the couch is not quite as soft as the rest of it.

Claire is hilarious - a couple of weeks ago she got mad about some injustice done her and shut herself in her room. She used some post-its to draw a grouchy face and some angry scribbles and put them on her door to tell us how she felt. She a ball even when she's ticked off. You have to keep an eye on Claire, because she can be a little sneaky sometimes taking crayons to her room and decorating her furniture with cute stripes. She's also a little unpredicatable so I tell the babysitters to be aware of Claire - you never really know what she is going to do next.





Every night for the past few years Claire ends our bedtime ritual by blowing 50 kisses and saying "Check on me lots of times and remember the rules!" I'm not sure what the rules are, but I think it's just the one rule: to check on her lots of times. I do check on her several times before I go to bed and not just because she's asked me to. I go in to close her window and put her blankets back on top of her; sometimes she sets her bedtime music on repeat so I turn it off or it will play all night; she falls asleep with 10 books in her bed and I move them out of the way so she doesn't have to sleep on them. And I just love to look at her sweet little face so relaxed. I love her chubby cheeks and pouty lips, and I love to touch her little hands and be glad she is still small.




Claire told one of our Trader Joe's friends about her birthday and she asked how old Claire would be. Claire answered: "5." and Justine said "Wow, you're getting old!" and Claire said "Well, it's not like I'm turning 65!"

She's a bundle of joy and fun and love. Happy birthday, Claire.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love those curls and that smile! Happy Birthday Claire!