Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Transitions

I'm not always thrilled about big changes in my life. Truth be told, I make great ruts, and only like to get out of them when I'm good and ready. This fall Claire will go to kindergarten, and it's going to be great to have 5 hours to myself every day, but I will miss her company. I'm sure I will adapt quickly, but this week I am feeling nostalgic. Everything is going to change - and keep on changing. She's had an eventful month with Kindergarten Round Up, her last session of the art class she has been taking nearly every Friday for two years, her preschool open house and her first field trip (a walk to the nearby library). It has been fun to see her enjoy these "big girl" experiences. I know she is more than ready for school, and definitely ready to learn and make more friends.

Claire's art class teachers say she leads the class, doing everything the rest of the kids are too shy to try, and she spends their hour together sharing the details of our family life. Who knows what all they've heard about us, but they did say they got the play by play of the bathroom remodel. Her preschool teacher, Mrs. Dewart, also Audrey's preschool teacher several years ago, says Claire handles herself well in any situation. After Kindergarten Round Up the teacher who evaluated Claire said "She's great. She is totally ready." And I'm sorry for bragging, I try not to be like that, but if I can't brag on my own blog, what's the point? I'm going to miss my little sidekick this fall. I will miss our lunches at Wahoo's and shopping for groceries. I will miss my "helper" playing with the bubbles while I do dishes. I will miss my garden buddy who eats all the ripe green beans, peas and cherry tomatoes she can pick. I will miss our snack time and the way she gathers her fruit and yogurt and almonds and dives in. Claire's sweet, smart, sassy, and sensitive, and a ray of sunshine in all our lives - especially mine.

No comments: