Friday, December 13, 2013

A decade of Audrey

Our sweetheart turned 10 this week. We are so lucky to have her. It's fun to see how much she's grown up and how many exciting things are ahead of her. We can't help ask ourselves how it went by so quickly, but we have a billion memories, so I know we didn't miss much.

This year I told Audrey a little more of her birth story than I usually do, thinking she is old enough to hear about the extreme circumstances surrounding her arrival. She was, as always, very curious. And we spent a little time telling her our funny memories from when she was little.

March 2004
Like the time she was standing next to the bathtub while I was taking a shower, pulling on the shower curtain and babbling. The next thing I knew she landed at my feet. She fell right in and was soaked. She looked so shocked, but didn't cry. Mark pulled her out while I laughed.

Like the time Mark took her to the Aquarium of the Pacific and parked her in her stroller next to the touch tank. He looked away from a moment and when he looked back at Audrey her head was wet. She had stuck her head in the water.

Like the time when Audrey was about 6 or 7, doing crafts like mad and having a love affair with the scissors. She was snipping away at some paper and cut off a chunk of her hair. I walked into her room and found her sitting there looking at this chunk of hair and I said "Did you cut your hair?!" and she said "Well, not on purpose!"

Audrey's always entertaining. She always has a comment to make. She always has the wiggles. She sings, she dances, she jumps. She tells us jokes and lately she's delivering some great one liners. "No offense pigs, but I really love bacon." We love it.

Audrey really loves to read. She loves her snacks: rice crackers, pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and cheese sticks. She has started to clean her room without being asked. She does her homework and practices piano - we don't have to ask her, but we do have to listen to her complain. Audrey loves animals and wants a pet very much. She did get horseback riding lessons for her birthday, so maybe that will fill the need.

Audrey's wings are out and we just need to stand back and let her fly. It's tough because all we want to do is keep her close and safe. No one tells you that giving your children their freedom is not exactly instinctual. It helps that she has achieved this grand number - no more kidding ourselves about her whether she's ready or not.


November 2013

No comments: