Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cloudy beaches



We went to the beach during our last week of summer break. We usually go more often, but it was a cold summer. This day was no different, but we had a good time anyway. The kids were not so cold the way they run around like crazy. I was cold parked in my beach chair chatting with friends and snacking, but still burning calories by shivering. The girls played with their friends, ate all the food I brought and begged quite a bit from the other mothers there, dug in the sand, chased birds and all that. Claire drug somebody's surboard around for 20 minutes. Audrey came home with a cup of sand in the crotch of her suit - something she says is the worst part of the beach and I totally agree - sand in the nether regions is very uncomfortable. She doesn't know that some of us had to drive for an hour to get to and from the beach when we were children and those sand pockets were torturous.



We saw an amazing thing that day. There are usually dolphins going back and forth along our beach, so it is no surprise to see them, but they actually came in so close we could have touched them. They were playing in the break and that day it was breaking about 3 yards out. Everyone around us started yelling and running to get a better look - I love that kind of reaction - we were all so stunned and excited. Maybe they saw us because they took off and didn't get that close again. It was spectacular. I was too excited to take a picture.


No comments: