Thursday, October 20, 2011

Block Party 2011

If only all my posts didn't have to start with an apology. I know this is late, but it was fun and definitely worth adding to our blog. We have a friendly block with a diverse mix of retirees, partiers, shut-ins, and families with small children. The retirees and the shut-ins avoid the party for their usual TV and microwave dinners with 30 cats, but the rest of us live it up. The block party lasts all day with barbeque, potluck, DJ, bounce house, water slide, games, and even the fire department shows up with their tallest ladder and sets up the hose.





The kids run wild, ride their various vehicles in the streets, eat a ton of junk, have their faces painted and become more and more frantically joyful as the day progresses until they have to be drug home way past their bedtime so they can fall asleep twitching from high blood sugar and exhaustion.





Mark and I are not so wound up, but right around clean up time I did the Thriller dance, laughing hysterically, with a woman I don't even know, and that was one of the highlights. We represented ourselves well in the games portion of the day - I made a good showing trying to eat a vanilla wafer off my face and Mark was 3rd in the cherry spitting contest.




The day was marked by really unusual weather, first heat and then two waves of very light rain that did nothing to slow the festivities, some lighting that had us bit concerned, and then a gorgeous double rainbow and brilliant sunset. A great day from start to finish.




1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love it!! I wish I could have been there to see the dance. I need a good laugh. Glad you guys could represent in the contests. The shut ins are better left alone.