Thursday, October 20, 2011

We made summer last as long as we could

Our school year didn't start until Sept. 8 so we had quite of few days of fun left after our block party. We spent them going to the beach, hanging around the house enjoying all the weird things kids come up with to entertain themselves, and swimming in the backyard blow-up pool. I think Audrey was looking forward to school just for the fun of seeing her friends, but definitely not for the homework; Claire was happily anticipating her first day of preschool; and I was wishing I were the kind of mother who could home school - I'm not, for many reasons, but we won't get into that now - because then we could all stay home together together playing, sleeping in, eating picnics, running in the sprinklers and enjoying the freedom of a wide-open schedule. I could not express my lack of enthusiasm to the kids, but I sure felt it. However I dread the monotony of homework and packing lunches, soccer practice and cold weather, I also look forward to the holidays, starting choir again and having just a little time to myself. But if I felt free to complain without offering that cheerful sentence about the good times ahead, believe me I would gripe away without pause. I really like sleeping in.










No comments: